Binge Eating Disorder
binge eating disorder is a food addiction in which the person
has an obsessive connection with food. Health professionals treat
this condition with psychiatric treatment and nutrition teaching.
A person that is suffering from compulsive overeating eats several
times per day in mass quantities. After eating all this food,
they become guilt ridden and feel terrible about the overeating
they had just participated in. Compulsive binge eaters are often
overweight because of the large calorie intake consumed during
binges. There are those who are of average weight who are bingers
but this is not the majority. This is the difference between those
with bingeing and purging versus those who are just bingers. Bingers
and purgers are often underweight because they engage in vomiting
sessions after eating. Binge eaters also eat during the day at
multiple times. This would be categorized as grazing. This also
adds to the total calorie intake for the day which contributes
side effects of bingeing are many and include:
· Heart disease.
· High cholesterol.
· Kidney disease.
· Bone deterioration from carrying a large amount of
The following are signs and symptoms of bingeing:
· Uncontrolled eating even when not hungry.
· Eating at a high rate of speed.
· Isolation while eating due to shame.
· Feeling guilty while overeating.
· Abnormal tracking of body weight.
· Depression or mood swings.
· Understanding that condition is abnormal.
· Quick weight gain.
· Increased inability to get around due to stress on
joints from weight.
· Past history of weight variations.
· Removing oneself from activities because of being overweight.
· History of failure with dieting.
· Intimidation concerning eating in public.
· Impaired body image with increased level of eating.
A compulsive binge disorder is treatable with therapy which
consists of professional counseling and therapy. Without any
therapy or treatment, people who suffer from this disorder can
actually succumb to this disorder. Eating disorders are thought
to be behavioral and treatment modalities consisting of medical,
nutritional counseling as well as sit down therapy are popular
ways to deal with patients. Just like any other disorder like
being an alcoholic, drug addict, or other substances of abuse,
eating disorders should be treated the same.
Having a compulsive binge disorder is just like any other illness,
it must be treated in order to affect a cure. Seeking out medical
professionals who are well acquainted with how to treat this
disease is the only way to overcome it.